Isn't that sad?? Martell broke his hand yesterday (Memorial Day). The day was a pretty normal holiday for the farmers of SV. I had convinced the family to take a break and have a barbeque, using my brand new barbeque. I had just finished making the salads and cleaning up the kitchen when in walked my dear husband. By the way dinner was going to be at 6:30 and when I heard the 4 wheeler coming to the house at 3:00 I wondered what was up. Well as I was saying my dear husband walked in, gave me a kiss, as he was holding his left hand next to his chest with his work glove on. He very calmly said that he thought he had hurt his hand. My first question was 'is there blood' Now I need to explain that in the past he has entered with a wounded hand that a drill had gone through completely, blood gushing everywhere, he also has nearly cut his finger off with a knife in the baler, so of course my first thought was blood. He again, very calmly said there was no blood, (relief) but he felt that he had possibly broken his hand with the post pounder. For those of you from the city that have never seen or heard of a post pounder let me explain. It is a large, massive steel implement that attaches to the front of a tractor. One person puts the post in the ground, (in a hole) while the one the tractor raises the pounder and then lets it fall on top of the post. Needless to say it is quite heavy, especially when it falls. The good news is that it, the post pounder, was not up all the way so when it fell on his poor little hand it wasn't as bad as it could have been. The driver on the tractor shall remain nameless, it wasn't his fault. Martell bumped the lever and it fell. I immediately tried to remember everything I had ever learned going through cub scouts with my 3 boys for emergency first-aid. We got him kind of comfortable and forutnately Taylor was home and was able to give him a blessing. I then drove him to Jackson (50 miles) and took him to the emergency room. He is probably going to have surgery and probably going to have to get his boys home to help with the farming more than was originally planned. Quite the 'holiday'
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
BROKEN HAND/NHS/ELDER BROWER
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 of 7 SV Farmers
1 comment:
YIKES! Sorry about his hand! The Jack Daniels t shirt is great! Sorry we can't make it to the reunion, we're already going to Utah the end of July. My mother will have to represent our family!
Post a Comment